Food Laboratory Manager (Microbiology)
Location – North East
Salary – up to £42K DOE
Are you an experienced food microbiological laboratory manager, looking for a real challenge? Are you a very experienced team leader with a comprehensive and broad skillset in microbiological testing within the food industry? Looking to develop new skills in terms of line management, business development and contract negotiation? If you think you have what it takes to run a very busy food testing laboratory and are not shy about challenging the system, I would like to hear from you!
My client, a world leader in Pharma, environmental and food testing, is offering an exciting opportunity to join the business at a senior level as a Microbiology Laboratory Manager in the food sector, to join their busy operations in the North East of England.
The primary purpose of the role is to lead the laboratory operations from the front, both in a technical sense and through the re-organisation and re-structure of the business. Currently sampling over 600 products per day, this is a very busy operation and definitely not for the faint hearted!
This UKAS accredited laboratory is primarily involved with the testing of pathogens and toxins on food, including Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella species, Legionella pneumophila and Escherichia coli O157 (E.coli). Although the remit for a position of this nature is broad, some of the major responsibilities will include:
- To ensure the laboratory operates at an optimum efficacy with optimum staff cover
- To manage the team, including recruitment, training and development, mentoring, motivation and disciplinary matters
- Drive the laboratory forward through continuous improvement
- Ensuring samples are processed in accordance with client procedure and that turnaround times are met
- Liaising with clients, offering technical advice and dealing with issues
- Ensure all work in the laboratory is performed in accordance with the methods and Standard Operating Procedures as per the quality system
- Implementation of the quality system in partnership with the quality manager
- Operating the department within agreed budget. Ensuring that orders are processed
To be considered for this role you must possess a degree or equivalent in food microbiology; although a higher level of academia / experience would put you at a distinct advantage. You must also be able to demonstrate a considerable, proven track record of operational management and team management, in an ISO / UKAS accredited food laboratory under GLP conditions. Needless to say, for a position of this nature you will need to be dedicated and driven, self-motivated and self-assured, plus be able to maximise the buy in from your staff and peers alike.
In response, you will be given an opportunity to join a quality driven, leading organisation whose core values lie in respect and trust, integrity and encouragement. In addition, this position offers a very generous package including a substantial salary.
For more information or to apply, please contact Anthony Mullin on 0203 4685781 / 07985 229817, or alternatively send your CV along with a cover letter detailing your salary requirements to Anthony.email@example.com.
Please note that all applicants for this role should be able to prove that they are legally entitled work in the UK. Network Scientific Recruitment, part of Network Scientific Ltd. is an Employment Business/Agency.